The Cupa Group began its activities in 1892, mining slate from the Solana de Forcadas quarry, a mining site that is rich in minerals and in a prime location, in the district of San Pedro de Trones (Leon), where it has now been active for more than a century.
In 1968, the group was officially founded under the acronym Cupire Padesa (Cubiertas de Pizarra Reunidas y Agrupadas de Exportación – Batches of Roofing Slates for Export), thanks to an agreement between five entrepreneurs who dreamed of selling their products all over the world.
This alliance between the founding partners came three years after Solana de Forcadas began to go beyond its borders with its first slate exports to France in 1965 – a milestone which determined the company’s growth for decades to come.
The quality of the product, adaptation to new markets, anticipating logistical requirements and developing new quarries all helped the group’s main company, Cupa Pizarras, to become a leader in the slate sector towards the end of the 1990s.
On top of all this, they were then able to meet the individual requirements of each customer with the opening of their first branches in other countries. The opening of offices in France (1990), Belgium (1995) and the United Kingdom (1996) consolidated the expansion of a company that went from being a local business to an international success.
The head office adopted the name Cupa Group and now concentrates its efforts on a strategy of diversification, entering new areas of business associated with construction.
In 2008, Burton Roofing Merchants was integrated into the multinational company, and in 2012 the natural stone production and distribution businesses grouped together under the brand Cupa Stone. One year later, the group set off for the United States, opening its first branch in North America.